Local Government Authority (LGA) is a state institution established under the Decentralisation Act to regulate, oversee and develop the local governance system of Maldives as envisioned in the Constitution.
The Decentralization Act confers the following mandate on LGA.
- Monitor to ensure that the work and activities of councils created under this Act function in accordance with the Constitution, the Decentralisation Act and other Laws;
- Coordinate the work of the councils at national Level;
- Perform all other responsibilities mandated to the LGA under the Decentralisation Act;
- Monitor and harmonise standards and procedures, work activities, and regulations formulated by different councils;
- To formulate a mechanism to demark the boundaries of the administrative divisions set forth in the Decentralisation Act;
- Formulate rules of procedures for Women Development Committees as defined in the Decentralisation Act and conduct elections for the WDC’s and monitor performance;
- Identify training needs and conduct programs for capacity building of local councils.
- Empowering Citizens with Community Engagement
Integrity: We exhibit the highest level of honesty and ethical standards at all times
Impartiality: We adopt a non-partisan, fair, results based management approach, free from manipulation
Commitment: We are fully committed to delivering our mandate
Team Work: We value our colleagues and enjoy working together as a team in an open and honest way.
Excellence: We strive to get better, smarter, and innovative and be the best in everything we do
- Empower women politically and economically; and promote inclusive governance
- Assist Local Councils in achieving Sustainable Development Goals
- Ensure fiscal decentralization; and assist local councils in creating vibrant local economies
- Make local councils accountable and responsible
- Leverage use of ICT for an empowered, effective and efficient local governance system
- Promote community participation at local level
- Build trust among citizens and Government for the local governance system
- Strengthen Local Government Authority